- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to season shrimp
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled
- 3 heads Boston Bibb lettuce
- 2/3 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
To make the vinaigrette:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the red onion, shallot, ginger and jalapeños in a small baking sheet. Cover with the olive and vegetable oils and sprinkle on 1 teaspoon salt. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and be sure to reserve the oil from the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar with the Dijon, honey, black pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Continue whisking well as you drizzle in the oil from the roasted red onion mix. Incorporate all the roasted red onion, shallots, ginger and chile, mix well, taste for salt and add more if need be.
To make the salad:
- Preheat your grill, or a grill pan, on medium-high heat. Brush with olive oil. Season the shrimp with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill for a 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Cut the lettuce heads into 4 quarters and place them on a serving platter. Dress with the vinaigrette and top with the grilled shrimp and cashews.