- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, stemmed and finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels from 5 to 6 ears of corn, or substitute with thawed from frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh epazote leaves, chopped, or substitute with cilantro
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced queso fresco
- In a soup pot set over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the oil. Once it sizzles, add the onion and chile and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until completely wilted and beginning to brown.
- Add the corn and salt, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the epazote or cilantro and stir.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the soup into bowls and serve hot. Top with queso fresco.