Roasted Tomato and Habanero Salsa
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 to 2 habaneros
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon GOYA® Vegetable Oil
- On a preheated comal, skillet or griddle, set over medium heat, toast the tomatoes, onion, unpeeled garlic cloves and habaneros. Let them cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the skin is completely charred and the ingredients have completely softened. Alternatively, you can roast under the broiler, flipping them halfway in between. Remove from the heat. Peel the garlic.
- Place the peeled garlic in a jar of the blender along with tomatoes (don’t remove anything from them!), onion and salt. Stem the chiles, and add half at a time to taste for heat. Pulse with the blender until salsa has a coarse pureed texture.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the tomato mixture, cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes, until the salsa has darkened in color and thickened a bit.