For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, or to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head butter lettuce or red leaf lettuce
- 4 carrots, or 3/4 lb, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, or 3/4 lb, peeled, seeded, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, or 3/4 lb, quartered, seeded, sliced
- 1 large ripe Mexican avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
- In a plastic container that has a lid, add the vinegar, vegetable and olive oils, Dijon mustard, garlic, onion, salt, black pepper and sugar. Cover the container with a lid and shake for 10 seconds until the vinaigrette is well emulsified. Alternatively, you can also whisk with a fork in a bowl.
- Place the lettuce, carrots, cucumber and tomato in a large salad bowl. Pour a generous amount of the vinaigrette on top and toss. The salad should be coated with the vinaigrette but not swimming in it.
- Top with avocado slices, drizzle a bit more vinaigrette on top of and serve.