Grilled Cheese and Bean Heroes
Grilled Cheese and Bean Heroes recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 3, Episode 3 “My Three Favorite Boys”
- 4 teleras, bolillos, Portuguese buns, or baguettes, cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
- 2 cups refried beans, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded Oaxaca cheese, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or mild cheddar
- Traditional pico de gallo, or other salsa of your choice
Optional extra toppings:
- Mexican-style chorizo, crumbled and fried
- Crisped bacon
- Turkey or ham
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Sliced avocado
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
When they are all assembled, bake until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust on the bottom and around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Eat while hot. Serve with pico de gallo, or your favorite salsa, on the side.