There are countless versions of Pico de Gallo salsas. Their trademark is having ingredients that are fresh rather than cooked, and diced and chopped rather than pureed. This is the most common and well-known version.
It is also incredibly colorful!
Pico de Gallo Salsa
Rate this recipe
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes about 3 cups, halved, cored, seeded (optional) and chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile finely chopped, or more to taste (seeding is optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro rinsed, drained, lower part of the stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or more to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, toss well and serve.
- The salsa can be prepared up to 12 hours ahead of time, covered and refrigerated. And it can be eaten with anything you want to try it with!