Roasted Tomato Rice with Cumin and Oregano
For the roasted tomatoes:
- 1 ½ pounds ripe cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried piquín chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds crushed with a mortar or knife
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
For the rice:
- 2 cups Mahatma® Rice jasmine white rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 cups chicken broth vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
To make the roasted tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 450℉. Place tomatoes on a small baking sheet and cover with the garlic, piquín, oregano, cumin, olive oil and salt. Toss well. Place in the oven and let the tomatoes roast until completely wrinkled, mushy and slightly charred, about 25 minutes. Remove them from the oven.
To make the rice:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the rice and stir to coat as it cooks for a minute. Make room in the middle and add the onion, stir to mix with the rice, and continue cooking until the rice grains change color to a deep bright white and feel heavier and make a louder sound as you stir, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, orange juice, and salt and stir. Increase heat to medium high, and once it is bubbling strongly, add the roasted tomatoes with all their juices on top. Give it the gentlest stir, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed and you see no more at the bottom of the pan. Turn off heat and keep covered until you serve.