- Vegetable oil to grease the baking dish
- 1 batch corn dough or masa from my tamal recipe
- 1 batch salsa verde
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican crema or Latin-style cream, crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated Oaxaca cheese, mozzarella or Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a large baking dish with oil. Spread half of the tamal dough or masa in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside 3/4 cup of salsa verde and combine the rest with the shredded chicken. Spread the chicken and salsa verde mix on top of the masa. Cover with the rest of the masa in a second layer. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for an hour.
- Remove from the oven. Carefully remove the aluminum foil and spread on the remaining 3/4 cup of salsa verde. Top with the cream and cheese. Place back in the oven, uncovered, for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese completely melts and begins to brown along the edges. Serve hot, cut into squares.