- 6 fresh ears of corn husked and rinsed
- unsalted butter to taste
- mayonnaise to taste
- 1 cup crumbled queso cotija or queso fresco or to taste
- 1 lime or to taste
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Dried ground chile like piquín or a mix
- To cook the corn, you can grill it or boil it. To grill, brush the ears of corn with a bit of oil. Place them over a grill or grill pan, set over medium heat, and let the corn cook and char slightly, turning every 3 minutes until all the corn is done, anywhere from 9 to 12 minutes total. Remove from the heat. You can also cook the corn it in boiling water until soft and cooked, less than ten minutes.
- Once cooked, stick the corn on corn holders or a wooden stick. Choose your toppings! Traditionally in Mexico, we: spread butter, then a layer of mayonnaise, coat thoroughly with crumbled cheese, sprinkle with salt and ground chile and finally, drizzle with freshly-squeezed lime juice.