Red Sauce for Chiles Rellenos recipe from Pati's Mexican Table, Episode 11 "Family Favorites"
Servings: 4 cups approx.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1-inch thick slice of a large white onion outer skin peeled off (about 2 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Place the tomatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the tomatoes are completely smooth, cooked and mushy.
- Place tomatoes and garlic in a blender along with the onion and salt, and process until completely smooth.
- Heat the oil in medium saucepan, set over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, pour in the tomato sauce, cover with a lid partially and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring here and there. Add the chicken broth, stir and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, until well seasoned and lightly thickened.