Cowboy Charro Beans
Rate this recipe
- 6 oz sliced uncooked bacon chopped
- 8 oz fresh uncooked Mexican chorizo casings removed, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper finely chopped more or less to taste, seeded if desired
- 1/2 lb roma tomatoes about 2 to 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt plus more as needed
- 5 cups cooked pinto beans and their cooking liquid or substitute with black or Peruvian beans
- Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until it is lightly browned and starting to crisp. Add the chopped chorizo; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until it starts to brown and crisp. As it cooks, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it into smaller pieces.
- Add the chopped onion and jalapeño; mix well and cook for 1 or 2 more minutes, letting them soften a bit. Add the tomatoes and mix well; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until the tomatoes soften and appear mushy.
- Add the cooked beans and their cooking liquid; mix well and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the beans are moist but not soupy. Add a bit more water if needed. Taste, and add more salt to your taste. Serve hot.