Potato Hash Cake
Rate this recipe
- Unsalted butter to grease the baking dish
- 4 pounds red bliss potatoes peeled and grated
- 1/2 white onion grated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour plus more to dust the baking dish
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil to brush the top of the potato hash
- Grease a small baking dish or quarter sheet pan with butter and dust all over with flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Set rack in the middle of the oven and preheat at 400°F.
- Place the grated potatoes in a strainer and press out as much moisture as you can — repeat a couple times until almost dry. In a medium bowl, mix the strained potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, salt, pepper, and baking powder very well.
- Press the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Brush olive oil generously over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake until completely cooked and golden brown on top and bottom, about 40 to 45 minutes.