Spinach Salad with Jamaica Vinaigrette and Caramelized Pecans
Rate this recipe
For the salad:
- 18 oz fresh spinach leaves rinsed, drained and thickly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress rinsed and stems removed
- 6-8 scallions white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- Jamaica Vinaigrette (see below)
- 1 cup caramelized pecans roughly chopped or whole pieces, to your liking
For the Jamaica Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup dried jamaica flowers
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp kosher or sea salt
- 2 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place the jamiaca flowers in a bowl along with the garlic, oils, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Let them sit for a few minutes, for the flowers to soften up a bit. Then pour everything into a blender and puree. The flowers will not be pureed until smooth. The mix will have a textured consistency with chewy flower chunks: that’s what you want!
- Let the mix stand for at least two hours. If it will not be used then, it can be kept in the refrigerator, covered, for up to a week.
- Place the spinach and watercress in a large bowl. Pour some of the vinaigrette on top and toss. Top with the chopped caramelized pecans and sprinkle the scallions over the top. Drizzle some more vinaigrette on top. If you have leftover vinaigrette, you can eat it with a spoon!