- 1 cup corn masa flour such as Maseca
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp lard or vegetable shortening
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Mix the corn masa flour with water and knead until the dough is smooth and has no lumps, about a minute. Add the lard, cinnamon, sugar and salt and mix until it is well incorporated.
- Make little balls of about 1 inch with your hands. Using your little finger, make a dip in the middle of the dumpling. One by one add them to the simmering sauce, mole or soup that they will be cooked in. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes for the chochoyotes to be fully cooked.