Chocolate, Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
Rate this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature plus more to butter pan
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more to butter pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and set a rack in the middle. Butter and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan, shaking off any excess flour.
- In a stand mixer, set with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until completely creamy and smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the egg and give it a minute to mix in. Add the bananas, cream cheese and vanilla, continue mixing for a minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and continue beating for another 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides if need be.
- In a small bowl, combine the boiling water with the cocoa powder and stir until well mixed. Add to the mixer and beat for another couple minutes. Lastly, add the chocolate chunks and beat for another minute until fully incorporated.
- Scrape into the prepared loaf pan, shake a few times to level the batter. Place into the oven and bake anywhere from 55 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick comes out moist but not wet, the top of bread has browned and is springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Run a butter knife along sides of the pan, turn out onto plate, and then flip onto serving platter, so it is right side up.
36comments inChocolate, Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
The Chocolate, Choclate Chunk Banana Bread is so moist, delicious and yummy, it’s become my favorite.
I will be making this for my chocoholic friends as gifts for Christmas. I think I will add a few walnuts to give it a crunch.
My husband & I watch you whenever you’re on PBS here in Arizona. We not only love seeing what you are making next, we love seeing parts of Mexico that you visit that we will never see and the food you taste looks amazing. We try your recipes and find some are too spicy, so we just cut back on the spices next time.
Love your show and you are such a pleasure to watch.
Such a sweet message Carol, thanks so much! Hugs to you and your husband 😉
Looks delicious, can I substitute sour cream for the cream cheese? Thanks!
I do not see why not Joanne, enjoy!
Delicious love it I had made it several times so good!
Yay, thanks so much Patricia!
I am addicted to PBS, Create and your show. I watch your TV episodes whenever they air. I am finally going to make one of your recipes tomorrow…the Chocolate Chocolate Banana Bread. Your demeanor and presentation are captivating. Your are an excellent TV host and your recipes look so darn appetizing.
Thanks so much for all the kindness Barb! Let me know how the bread came out 😉
Linda A Soderlund
I’m going to make this tomorrow. 1-21-22. I have started my spring cleaning and this will be a treat for all. Thank you Pati. I love the show and you as well. I will let you know what my husband thinks of the bread. Sincerely Linda Solderlund. Poplar Wisconsin
Thanks so much Linda, hope you and your husband enjoyed the bread!
I made this exactly to the recipe and it is absolutely delicious. I even made a second loaf the next day to send to my son at college. Thank you!
Aw, thanks so much! I hope he enjoyed it 😉
I made it as written, except that I used a little more cocoa in the batter. (I’m a chocoholic and wanted to make sure I could taste it!) And I used dark chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks.
It was really, really good. The texture was more like a chocolate cake than a banana bread: very moist. We had it for dessert with whipped cream.
This recipe is a keeper!!
So glad you liked it Barbara! Extra chocolate never hurts, right?
This is perfect for the banana bread lover AND the chocolate lover 😉 I’m baking it right now, but I did add some twists to it. I doubled the amount of cocoa powder. I also had no brown sugar, so I did all white sugar with one tablespoon of molasses. And then I had no cream cheese, so I just used buttermilk instead and alternated that with the dry ingredients. Hoping it still comes out right, but nevertheless, I can’t wait to try the final result!
Sound like this came out delicious! Tell me about it Carlos….
IT WAS!! One of the yummiest banana breads I’ve ever had!
Yay! Great job 😉
This bread was very good but it needed more banana flavor. I may add some banana extract. I really liked adding the cream cheese to the recipe. I’d make again.
Awesome Laurie, great tip! Thank you 😉
My hubby & I ADORE you & your show, and ALL of the recipes that I have made of yours have ALL been BEYOND DELICIOUS❣️This recipe is our 2 “boys” (they’re 14 & 18!) fave❣️ I have made this also by substituting Cinnamon for the cocoa & it came out super yummy‼️ ❤️ YOU PATI❣️ Thanks for being YOU❣️❣️
Thanks Amy, you are way to sweet! Say hi to your husband and “kiddos” from me 🙂
This was my first time making chocolate banana bread and the recipe is amazing! I am eating it for breakfast and for snacks. I love that the texture is light and that the chocolate is not overbearing. I can taste both the chocolate and banana in a balanced mouthful. You are awesome, Pati!
Thanks so much Cristina, so glad to know you liked it 😉
OMG! This is wonderful!!! So moist and has a nice weight /texture to it.
I have been making the same one for years and wanted a change…was going to do your “leche cinnamon”one but didn’t have all the ingredients in the house. This is a keeper!
Beyond happy to hear it is keeper, Tina.
This is my absolute favorite banana bread recipe. I have made it 3 times in a week and it is a family favorite already. Thank you so much for sharing!
Wow! I’m so happy it is such a hit in your house, Shelby.
My son Jack watched you make this with Juju and had to make it with me. We’ve made it about five times now and shared the recipe with family. Everyone loves it. It’s fantastic with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. Thanks Pati! (And Juju for inspiring the recipe)
Oh Juju’s so happy to hear this (as am I)…thank you Stephanie! And say hi to Jack 🙂
Sandy & Tom
Juju! You’re our hero! (And so is your mom.) So blown away by this recipe, we’ve made it FIVE TIMES in the past two weeks to give to family, neighbors, and coworkers. Word gets around, and everyone loves it!! Keep on creating! 🙂
Aww thank you Sandy & Tom! I’ll pass it along to Juju 🙂
I made this bread tonight and it is now my favorite banana bread of all time!! I used dark chocolate cocoa and the bread had just the right amount of flavor. Texture was not heavy, but just perfect. Thank you for this recipe, Pati. I love your show, you are a delight to watch
So glad you enjoyed it Bonnie!
Debbi Elliott, Berlin
Girl, you and Juju did it this time! My bread turned out very rich, almost cake, maybe I whipped up the butter too long. I used dark chocolate chips, and was wondering about chopped bittersweet instead…too bitter, you think?
So many thanks to you for sharing your recipes and your family!
This recipe is a keeper!
Aw thank you Debbi! Give the bittersweet a try and let me know if you like it.