Grilled Corn Salad
Rate this recipe
- 6 ears of corn
- 10 scallions
- 5 tablespoons olive oil plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or more to taste
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pre-heat the grill to medium, or set a grill pan over medium heat. Once hot, brush with oil.
- Cook the corn for about 20 minutes, flipping with tongs every once in a while. Also, cook the scallions for about 10 minutes, flipping occasionally as well. Remove both from the heat when charred, cooked and softened. Set aside.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until charred and softened. Remove from the heat, making sure to reserve the oil and tomato juices as well.
- Shave the corn kernels off the cobs and place in salad bowl. Cut white and light green parts of the scallions into 1-inch pieces and add to the bowl. Add the mint, chives, vinegar, and the reserved oil and juices from the tomatoes. Mix well. Incorporate the tomatoes. Gently toss and serve.
35comments inGrilled Corn Salad
Love your show and all the recipes you make. Most of all I love when you visit Mexico and show us the culture and traditions of Mexico. You have such a bubbly personality which makes your show so enjoyable. Thanks for sharing
Thanks to you for following Maria, un abrazo!
Yvonne Berlanga Shevchuk
This was so fresh and delicious! We forgot to get the tomatoes so I used some of the leftover marinade from the Oaxacan oregano chicken to dress it with the red vinegar.
Mmmm, great idea Yvonne, thanks for sharing!
This was delicious!
Glad you liked it Bobbi!
After watching your show, I made this tonight and served it with your Oxacan Chicken with Oregano and Garlic, plus sliced avocados on the side (to make a connection with you!) My husband looked at me lovingly and said, “No disrespect to your usual cooking, but this is the best meal you have ever made!” Thank you for sharing your culture, heritage, and recipes, Pati. You rock!
Aw, you guys are so sweet! So glad you are enjoying my recipes Suzanne. Keep cooking and having fun 😉
We LOVE the grilled corn salad! I made it a few times already, lately adding fresh Persian cucumber as well, and it’s an ultimate favorite for us. Thank you for your wonderful recipes Pati!!
Thanks to you for trying them Renata and for giving them you own twist!
That’s great that you made the recipe your own, Laura. Thanks for giving it a try!
I love the grilled corn salad. I just prepared for lunch and we loved it. Plato limpio !
Espero que mi esposa quiera hacer esta ensalada con el pollo conmigo esta noche. Vi este programa anoche con mi hija (tiene 4 anos y le encanta su programa) y sabia que tuve que prepararla. Combina ingredientes distintos y sabrosos con mucha cultura, y siempre disfruto los episodios. Gracias por lo que hace.
Uy mil gracias, Benny!
Good salad. For a little change up, try peppadews in place of the tomatoes next time, but don’t saute them. They add a little more sweetness than the tomatoes.
So glad you are making this recipe your own, Joseph!
Thank you so much for the grilled corn salad recipe. I watched you prepare it on your show and it looked so delicious( I watched it twice)! I can’t wait to try it. I’ll let you know.
Hope you love it, Fran!
Easy to prepare this dish but tastes like you spent hours bringing out all the flavors! It was a big hit with the family.
Muy Sabroso Pati!
Yay!! So glad it was a big hit, Mario.
Pretty easy dish…very colorful and it unites grilled and fresh flavors well. Nothing left in the bowl…
Love to hear that nothing is left in the bowl 🙂
This came out beautifully! I decreased olive oil to 2tbs to save calories and added a clove of minced garlic to tomatoes during last two minutes of cooking. I also added about a cup of steamed green beans to the salad to round out the nutritional value. Yummy!
I’m so glad you made it your own and enjoyed it, Joanna!
Can’t wait to make this looks so delicious
loved the salad and it went great with the oregano garlic chicken!
I saw this recipe on the PBS marathon this morning. My novio says “c’mon, we will be late for hiking!” But I just had to get this recipe so that I can make it tomorrow.
Hahaha! I hope you and your novio enjoyed the salad…and the hike :).
¡Sabroso y fácil!
Mil gracias Anita!
This is insanely delicious! Thanks Pati! All the flavors come together with a sweet and savory combination happening with the carmelized corn, green onion, mint, vinegar, and tangy sauteed tomatoes. I was nervous the mint would be strong, but it blends with all ingredients perfectly. My family who does not, let’s say, “appreciate” veggies cleared the bowl! I used 8 ears of corn, and half a box of red tomoatoes. If you cut the corn off the cobb (I did 25 minutes on stove top in non-stick griddle), you can add it back to the pan for about 5 minutes or more if it I hasn’t cooked enough. Can’t wait to make this again!
So happy your whole family loved it!