- Vegetable oil for frying eggs
- 8 eggs
- To taste kosher or coarse sea salt
- 3 cups refried beans
- 8 slices of turkey or ham
- 1 batch salsa ranchera
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated cheese such as Oaxaca, mozzarella or Monterrey Jack
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium skillet set over medium-low heat, heat a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Once hot, crack in 4 eggs, sprinkle with salt, and cover with a lid. Cook for about 3 minutes, until eggs are set, but not fully done, and the yolk is gooey. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs, or make two skillets at once.
- In an individual casserole, ovenproof bowl or large ramekin, spoon 3/4 cup refried beans, add a slice of turkey or ham, and a pair of the cooked eggs. Ladle in a generous amount of salsa ranchera to completely cover, and add shredded cheese on top. Assemble the rest of the casseroles. Alternatively, it can be made in a large casserole for everyone to share.
- Place in the oven until the cheese has completely melted, about 4 to 5 minutes.