- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup or honey
- 2 large peaches, pitted and cut into 6 wedges each
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- Banana leaves thawed from frozen
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- kosher or coarse sea salt
- Kitchen twine
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, bring the orange juice, vanilla and agave syrup to a simmer. Leave it at a steady simmer for 15 minutes or until it has reduced by half (to about 3/4 cup). Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, place all the fruit. Pour in the orange juice syrup and gently toss.
- Pass the banana leaves over the open flame, steadily, without toasting them. Pass them slowly, just until you see them shine and they become fragrant. It’s steady and slow and should only take a few seconds.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place one banana leave in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Cut 12 pieces of about 14-inches in length. They should be between 8 and 10-inches wide. Arrange two cut pieces on top of each other, crossing one another. Place about 1/6 of the fruit mixture right in the middle, place a couple mint leaves on top and add a pinch of salt. Close as in a bundle, making a package and tying a piece of twine around it to close the package. Repeat with each bundle and place them in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve the bundles by themselves, or alongside ice cream, pound cake or cinnamon rolls.