- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped or pressed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes or 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes (quartered and pureed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher or course sea salt or to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have completely softened and begun to brown around the edges. Add the garlic, stir and cook for a minute until fragrant and tanned. Pour in the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and oregano, stir, cover the pot partially (sauce will want to splatter all over your counters) and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Use what you need and store the rest tightly covered in the refrigerator for further use.