- For the tortilla chips:
- 12 Corn tortillas cut into rectangles or bite size pieces
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Kosher or sea salt to season the chips
- For the guajillo salsa:
- 3 guajillo chiles stemmed and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 pound ripe Roma tomatoes or 12 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro leaves and upper part of the stems
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- For the migas:
- 5 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3 scallions white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and sliced
- To make the tortilla chips:
Heat enough oil to reach 1” in a heavy bottomed skillet or casserole, set over medium heat, for at least 5 minutes. Test the oil with a tortilla piece, once the oil is actively bubbling around the tortilla, it is ready. Add a batch of the cut tortillas without overcrowding the pan; they shouldn’t be on top of each other. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until they crisp up and achieve a golden color (don’t let them brown or they will burn). Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and place on a plate covered with paper towels to drain. Immediately sprinkle on salt to taste and continue with the rest of the tortilla pieces in batches until done. Reserve the frying oil.
- To make the guajillo salsa:
Place the chiles, garlic and tomatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and set over medium-high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked and mushy, and the chiles are rehydrated. Place the cooked chiles, garlic and tomatoes into the jar of a blender, along with ½ cup of their cooking liquid, the cilantro, and salt, and puree until completely smooth.
- To make the migas:
In an extended skillet or casserole, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil from frying the tortilla pieces and set over medium heat. Once hot, add all the tortilla chips and let them reheat for a minute or two. Pour in the beaten eggs, and once they begin to set, add the guajillo salsa. Gently begin to fold until everything is covered with the salsa, and the eggs are cooked, just a couple minutes. Remove from the heat, top with scallions, cilantro and avocado. Serve.