- 1 pound ripe tomatoes cored and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile finely chopped, or to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and top part of stems or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- Place the tomatoes, onion, chile, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil (if using) and salt in a bowl and toss well. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Store any leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator.