- 5 cups Beans from the Pot along with 2 cups of their cooking liquid (or 5 cups precooked beans with 2 cups their liquid and water to make 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, pour the oil and heat until hot but not smoking, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions and let them saute for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they have softened, become translucent and have started to slightly brown along the edges.
- Add a cupful of beans at a time, over the sauteed onion, and mash with a masher, like a potato masher, until you have added all of the beans.
- Let them season and thicken for about 8 to 10 minutes, and continue mashing and stirring, until they have achieved a thick puree consistency and are somewhat pasty looking.