Traditional Refried Beans
Rate this recipe
- 5 cups Beans from the Pot along with 2 cups of their cooking liquid (or 5 cups precooked beans with 2 cups their liquid and water to make 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, pour the oil and heat until hot but not smoking, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions and let them saute for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they have softened, become translucent and have started to slightly brown along the edges.
- Add a cupful of beans at a time, over the sauteed onion, and mash with a masher, like a potato masher, until you have added all of the beans.
- Let them season and thicken for about 8 to 10 minutes, and continue mashing and stirring, until they have achieved a thick puree consistency and are somewhat pasty looking.
2comments inTraditional Refried Beans
Won’t this dry them out? How do you make them creamy? Add more water? Stop cooking them before they dry out? Thank you. ABSOLUTELY LOVE your show/recipes!
These refried beans are supposed to be thick like a puree, not runny and of course not dry. You will know in your cooking pan when they are ready. Enjoy!