Rice with Poblanos and Corn
Rate this recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups Mahatma® Rice jasmine white rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup ﬁnely chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels from about 2 ears
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups chicken broth or water plus more if needed
- 4 fresh poblano chiles roasted, sweated, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-x-1/4-inch strips
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, until very hot but not smoking. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until it starts to become milky white, crackles, and feels heavier as you stir it, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Clear a space in the center of the pan and add the butter. Once it melts, add the onion and corn and cook, stirring and mixing with the rice, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion begins to soften. Add the salt and allspice, stir well, and stir in the broth or water. Bring to a boil, add the poblanos, stir once, cover, and reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed but there is still some moisture in the pan. The rice should be tender; if it is not but all the liquid has been absorbed, add 2 tablespoons or so of broth or water, cover again, and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, taste and adjust the salt, and serve.
49comments inRice with Poblanos and Corn
I Wonder if I could use parboiled rice with this dish.
Please let me know, thank you!
Hola Diana, if you know how to work with it, by all means go for it, because I do not use it at all, so I do not think I could be of much help 🙂 Un abrazo!
I love this recipe, My family and friends always love it when I make it .ILOVE YOUR RECIPES Pati !
So glad to hear, gracias Lucy!
I live in Southern California. I never see poblano chili only pasilla chili. Is that the same?
Not at all, they are absolutely different! Poblano is a fresh chile while the pasilla is the dried form of the chilaca chile. The Poblano has a deep flavor, a mix of sweet and spicy and the pasilla is a bit sour, when cooking with it you normally have to add some sugar to your sauce. I am surprised you cannot find Poblanos in SoCal, they are all over the place. Saludos Karen!
👆 excellent description! One of my favorite peppers!
Maria Elena Shaffer
This was absolutely delicious, used fresh corn and the poblanos were slightly spicy which was perfect for us.
A new family favorite, muy sabroso!
Yay, thanks so much guys!
Hi Pati making it today excited I hope it comes out like yours,from San Antonio, TX
Let me know how did you like it Cynthia!
kevin cleveland in cleveland
I made this dish and added some shredded chicken – just delicious!
Awesome Kevin! Perfect way to make it a full meal, yay!
Linda R Ramos.
I made this. It was delicious and just like you indicated if the rice is not cooked after 12-15 mins add 2 tablespoons of broth & water. I had to do that and it worked. 💜💜
So glad this recipe worked for you Linda, thanks for letting me know!
Loved this recipe!! The rice was nicely fluffy, and the corn and poblanos added a nice flavorful touch. Will be making this recipe more often in the future. I started this in a skillet, then finished in a rice cooker. YUM!!!
Yay, so happy you liked it 😉
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR RECIPES. I PLAN ON MAKING RICE WITH POBLANOS AND CORN, FOR THE 5TH. ELVIA
So glad you chose one of my favorite recipes Elvia! Let me know how did you like it 🙂
Made this over the weekend (along with the carnitas from your newest book – which were also good but not as crispy as I was hoping for..) and it was delicious! It makes a ton of rice (I could have fed an army) so next time I’ll half the recipe, but they are also tasty as leftovers and they’ve stayed nice and moist. Love your show and super excited to keep cooking out of your new book!
So happy you liked this rice Sarah! And that you have been cooking some of the Treasures, yay!
Looking forward to making this !!
Question: can leftovers be frozen?
In my experience, rice does not freeze very well to be honest with you 😉
We tried this recipe today. It is wonderful. So delicious!! Thank you Pati!
Thanks to you Esther, un abrazo!
Hola Paty rico rico como todo lo que cocinas donde puedo adquirir tus libros
Mil gracias Ana, que amable! Puedes comprar los libros siguiendo este enlace, saludos! http://patijinich.com/cookbook/
I just made this dish this evening, only changing the procedure a little to accommodate already cooked brown and white rice in the fridge. I topped the dish with a dollop of the Mexican crema. Poblanos are new to me and my very favorite thing now, so I’ll probably try every recipe on your website for different ways to use them. Enjoy your show very much. Many thanks!
So glad you liked this recipe Catherine, have fun with poblanos!
I love this combination. I used olive oil and butter and a combination of white and wild rice. I added parmigiano to finish. Trying to figure out a version for my little restaurant here in Phoenix.
Yay, great ideas Rich!
My father used to live in Guadalajara and he made this rice for me. It became one of my favorites and I thank you for bringing it back into my life.
So glad the recipe brought back sweet memories Lucy 🙂
Martha E Munguia
This rice was different it was awesome! We will make it again! Thank you!
It is really one of my favorites Martha, so glad you liked it 😉
I am making this today. I don’t have any fresh chiles but will experiment with what I have. I know we will love this anyway.
Gracias May, hope you guys will love this rice!
How do you do all those things you said to the poblano pepper? What do you do the accomplish all that please help
Hola Walter, it is not difficult at all, I have this blog entry where I explain it step by step. Good luck 🙂 http://patijinich.com/preparing_poblano_peppers/
I harvested my last nine poblanos and used them all for this recipe since they were on the small side and the dish came out wonderful. I call this pure comfort food and it will go great with the Birria my husband made. Thank you for all your inspiration and insight into cooking Mexican cuisine. I love your program!
Thanks so much Carol, love the idea of you guys cooking together 🙂
Gracias Pati por compartir tus recetas. El arroz con chile poblano se ve delicioso y la crema con chiles poblanos igual. Este fin de semana los voy a preparar. Yo la veo en tv en Create Chanel y me encanta su programa. Felicidades!
Muchisimas gracias a ti, que alegria que veas el programa y prepares las recetas, un abrazo!
I will definitely be making this recipe soon thank you for sharing
My pleasure Pamela, thanks to you!