‘00’ Flour Pizza Dough
Rate this recipe
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided, plus more for greasing the bowls
- 3 cups (380 grams) ‘00’ pizza flour plus more if needed
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast with the sugar, salt, lukewarm water, and the oil. Add the flour and use your hands to incorporate it all together, knead until it is fully combined, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn onto floured countertop and knead for 20 to 30 seconds. If it feels too sticky add a bit more flour, it should be smooth and elastic and not sticky at this point.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with olive oil. Place dough in the bowl, cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let it sit and rise anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, until it has ballooned, risen to a dome, and is very puffy.
- Grease another medium bowl with a bit of olive oil. Divide dough into two pieces. Shape each piece into a ball by gently stretching it around itself in a circular motion. Place each ball in a bowl, cover and let it sit and rise again for another 30 minutes to an hour (or you can cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours).