For the salad:
- 3 ripe Mexican avocados, or about 2 pounds, pulp cut into large chunks
- 14 oz, or about 1 1/3 cups, hearts of palm, drained, rinsed and thickly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels, from 2 large freshly cooked ears of corn or thawed and cooked from frozen
- 1 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes, or about 1 cup, whole or halved according to your preference
- Vinaigrette dressing, see below
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
For the vinaigrette dressing:
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
To make the vinaigrette:
- Pour the vinegar and lime juice in a small bowl. Add the oregano, salt, sugar, and black pepper. Pour the oil in a slow stream, whisking with a whisk or fork to emulsify. The vinaigrette can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated, just emulsify before using.
To make the salad:
- To toast the pumpkin seeds, place them in an already hot, small saute pan set over medium heat. Stir often, being careful that they don’t burn; until you start to hear popping sounds (similar to popcorn) and they being to acquire a nice tan, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and place in a bowl.
- In a bowl, gently mix the avocado chunks, hearts of palm, corn kernels, cherry tomatoes and red onion with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
- The dish can be served as a main salad with a side of toast or pita bread. Or serve it as a side salad to grilled chicken, fish or meat.