Natilla with Fresh Berries
Rate this recipe
- 1 liter milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Ground ceylon cinnamon or canela optional for garnish
- Berries of your choice for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk and vanilla. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with a whisk until thickened and the color has turned from bright yellow to pale yellow. Incorporate the evaporated milk, sugar and cornstarch, whisk until cornstarch has dissolved and the mixture is smooth and combined.
- After about 15 minutes, the milk will begin to form a thin film on top (called nata) and start to come to a simmer. Remove from the heat at this point.
- To temper the egg yolk mixture, constantly whisk the egg mixture while adding the hot milk into the bowl one ladle full at a time. Then return it all into the saucepan and set over medium heat. Continue to cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula or whisk and making sure mixture doesn’t stick to sides or bottom of the pot, until it has thickened to the consistency of a very thin pudding.
- Remove from the heat. Ladle into ramekins and sprinkle cinnamon on top. You can serve it at room temperature or let cool, cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator and serve chilled. Garnish with fresh berries.
36comments inNatilla with Fresh Berries
I think my husband is really a Mexican trapped in an Italian body. He taught me how to eat Mexican and i am first generation of Chilean parents. I love ur recipes and enjoy your show. Sending love from New Jersey!
Love this! Hugs to you an your husband!
Mi esposo es americano y LE ENCANTAN tus recetas!! Cuando te “encontró” en kpbs y en la web inmediatamente me dijo: ASI QUIERO QUE ME COCINES la salsa, (tal cual… ) te ama!! 😁
Ah, mil gracias Maria, que bueno que les gusten mis recetas, un abrazo para los dos 😉
Que te puedo decir me encanta tu show xq a pesar de mexicana hay muchas comidas que no las conocía hasta que empecé a mirar tu show otra cosa que me encanta es cuando visitas esos lugares que pues a veces no los puedes financiar pero lo disfruto mucho gracias y saludos a YUYU
Muchas gracias Reina, me encanta saber que disfrutas el Show! La nueva temporada, que filmamos en el bello estado de Sinaloa, sale este proximo otono, no te la pierdas! Un abrazo.
I made this yesterday in hopes of having for Cinco de Mayo dinner tonight. It tasted fantastic but unfortunately it did not set up – is there any way to save it by recooking?
Sorry to hear this Amy, the thickening has to happen during cooking, you have to do it until it has the consistency of a thin pudding; it is not supposed to set to the consistency of jello or flan.
Hi Pati! My kids and I love Your shows ! Especially the recipes, I am hoping to make this Natilla this weekend!
Thanks so much Ana, hope you liked it. Hugs to the kids 😉
I .love you show Ieventhing .looks good thanks I make most of thing you make I love cinnamon roll
Thanks for tuning in Nina 😉
Hi patti you are so gorgeous and I love the recipes especially the natilla. I so want to come to Mexico the food you cook is so fresh and colorful and such lovely recipes. Your sons are adorable. We love you I live in Sydney Australia
You are adorable- watching your show just lifts my mood!
Can the natilla recipe be doubled?
Oh thank you, Gigi! And you can for sure double the recipe.
Can I use arrowroot powder in place of corn starch?
I haven’t tried it…but give it a go and let me know how it goes, Karen.
Love your show! Any suggestions for the egg whites to avoid wasting? Thank you.
Oh lots of yum recipes for those egg whites…https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/recipe/cali-baja-fish-tacos/ https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/recipe/marquesitas/ https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/recipe/meringue-cake/
I love your show…. I am making this natilla cups tomorrow. They look delicious and it brings a lots a good memories from my childhood.
I’m so glad they bring back good memories, Yazmin. Enjoy!
Hi Pati…I just viewes your show on Create WFSU Tv and that meal u shared with ur son had my mouth watering..lol..Natilla (new to me ) im gonna prepare for my three girls . And that meat sub with that avocado mix with roasted veggies. ..looked Yummiest! 😋 ..U got me..im hooked gonna set timer to watch ur show regular to learn more.THANKS Pati❗
Meshalle in the 850.
I hope you and the girls love all the recipes, Meshalle!
Hi pati! I just started watching your show. I love it. I have your program recorded so i don’t miss you.
Thanks for tuning in, Louanna!
Hi just wanted to tell you love your recepise.💖❤🍰
Thank you Jessica 🙂
I made them according to the recipe. I had a beautiful pudding like consistency half way thru the cooking process, however I continued to simmer for about 10 minutes. At the end of the 10 minutes the smooth consistency changed in to cheesy one.
Was it supposed to happen or was it overcooked?
Yes, that sounds like it was cooked either a bit too long, at too high heat or you should have whisked more frequently…
Great recipe I loved it !!❤️❤️❤️
Thank you Maria!
Hi Patti, this sounds stupid but how much in quarts is a liter of milk?
Oh not al all! One quart is one liter.
Can I substitute with almond milk? I’m lactose intolerant 🙁
Yes…and it will be a 1:1 substitution.
Emma from Texas
Thanks Pati, I love your recipes!!!