Horchata with Cinnamon and Vanilla
Rate this recipe
- 2 cups long or extra long white rice
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cinnamon stick ceylon or true cinnamon, if you can
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- Ground cinnamon to sprinkle on top optional
- Place the rice in a bowl and cover with hot water. Roughly crumble a piece of true cinnamon into the rice mix (cassia will not let you break it…) and let is all sit and rest anywhere from 2 to 8 hours outside of the refrigerator.
- Place half of the rice mixture in the blender with half of the milk and vanilla and blend until smooth, then strain into a pitcher or container (if using cassia cinnamon, remove it). Place the other half of the rice mixture in the blender with the remaining milk and the sugar, pure until smooth and strain into the same pitcher or container.
- Stir well and serve over ice cubes, or place in the refrigerator until it is cold. Serve with more ice cubes to your liking, and sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top if you wish.