Tequila, Mexican Cream and Chipotle Shrimp
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
Tequila, Mexican Cream and Chipotle Shrimp recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 2, Episode 8 “Tequila!”
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Tequila Reposado
- 1/4 cup Mexican cream, Latin style cream, crème fraiche or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, optional, seeded and minced
- 10 chives, sliced
Peel and devein the shrimp. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a large and heavy sauté pan set over medium-high heat, let the butter melt. Once it starts to sizzle, add the garlic; stir and cook for 10 to 15 seconds, until it becomes fragrant.
Incorporate the shrimp, making sure that the pan is not overcrowded, and let them brown on one side and then the other, for about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Don’t let them overcook; they should be browned on the outside but barely cooked through.
Add the tequila, and slightly tilt the pan over the flame to ignite it. Let it cook until the flames disappear. Stir in the cream and the chipotle sauce (and the seeded minced chile if using).
Serve immediately, with the chives sprinkled on top.