- 3 poblano chiles, charred, sweated, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 to 8 slices center cut bacon
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups corn kernels, preferably fresh, or thawed from frozen
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large cast-iron pan, over medium-high heat, add the bacon. Cook until crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the bacon from the pan and turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the milk, cream and eggs. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry. Add the cheddar cheese, corn and poblano chiles. Crumble the bacon and toss it in. Pour in most of the bacon fat from the cast-iron pan into the batter, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. Mix well.
- Place the cast-iron pan with the remaining bacon drippings again over medium heat, pour the batter into the pan. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.