- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Maggi sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile finely chopped, or to taste
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup ripe tomato seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano preferably Mexican, or 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1 ripe Mexican avocado halved, pitted, meat scooped out and cubed
- Tortilla chips store-bought or homemade, or saltines
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute. Immediately drain the shrimp and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, Maggi sauce and olive oil. Add the shrimp and toss to combine. Add the onion, chile, olives, tomato, parsley, cilantro, oregano and salt, and mix gently until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir the avocado into the shrimp cocktail. Serve with tortilla chips or saltines.