- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 12- ounce can of evaporated milk
- 1 14- ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Orange sections or supremes, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, set over medium-low heat, heat sugar, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula, for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until fully dissolved and caramel colored. Quickly pour onto bottom of individual ramekins, swirling around the bottom to coat each one.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In the jar of a blender, or in a mixing bowl stirring energetically with a whisk, combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Pour into prepared ramekins and place them in a large baking dish or roasting pan; fill the roasting pan with hot water to about 1-inch depth. Cover the roasting pan lightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the aluminum foil, and let cool. Remove each ramekin from the water bath, I use a pair of tongs to do so. Let the flans cool completely before covering with plastic wrap and placing in the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to eat, run a small knife around the edge of each flan. Invert dessert plate over ramekin, flip over and shake slightly to release. Leave the ramekin on top of the flan for a minute or so, so all of the caramel sauce can run over the flan. You may garnish with orange sections.