Potato Hash Cake recipe from Pati’s Mexican Table Season 8, Episode 8 “El Chepe, Railway to the Past”
- Unsalted butter, to grease the baking dish
- 4 pounds red bliss potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 white onion, grated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more to dust the baking dish
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil, to brush the top of the potato hash
Grease a small baking dish or quarter sheet pan with butter and dust all over with flour, shaking off any excess flour.
Set rack in the middle of the oven and preheat at 400°F.
Place the grated potatoes in a strainer and press out as much moisture as you can — repeat a couple times until almost dry. In a medium bowl, mix the strained potatoes, onion, flour, eggs, salt, pepper, and baking powder very well.
Press the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Brush olive oil generously over the top.
Place in the oven and bake until completely cooked and golden brown on top and bottom, about 40 to 45 minutes.