- 1 pound (about 4 or 5) ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chiles
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes and jalapeños on a small baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place under the broiler and roast anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes, flipping a couple times in between, until the tomatoes’ and chiles’ skin is completely charred, they are mushy and soft, and the juices have started to come out of the tomatoes.
- Alternatively, you can char the tomatoes and jalapeños on a preheated comal, set over medium heat, for the same amount of time, flipping as they char.
- Place the charred tomatoes and jalapeños in a molcajete along with the salt and mash to your desired chunkiness. Or you can put everything in the blender and pulse a couple times. Serve.