Rate this recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads crumbled, or may substitute achiote seeds
- 2 tablespoons boiling hot water
- 1 cup Mahatma® Rice jasmine white rice
- 2 tablespoons safflower or corn oil
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 garlic clove minced or pressed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- Place saffron threads in a small mixing bowl along with the boiling hot water. Mix and let soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place rice in a bowl, cover with very hot water, and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a 3 to 4 quart pan over medium-high heat. (If you are using achiote seeds instead of saffron, just let a teaspoon of them cook in the oil for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the rice.) Once the oil is hot, add the dried rice and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Incorporate the onion, tomato, and garlic, stir, and continue to cook until the rice changes color to a milky white. It should sound and feel heavier, as if you were moving sand in the pot, about 4 to 5 more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, saffron mix, and salt and stir everything together. When the liquid starts to boil, cover the pot, lower the heat to low and continue cooking for about 20 more minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and the liquid has been mostly absorbed.
- If the grains don't seem soft and cooked through, add a bit more chicken stock or water and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Turn the heat off and let it sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Rice can be made ahead of time and reheated later the same day. Before reheating, add 1 tablespoon of water and heat, covered over the lowest heat possible. Once it has cooled down, it can be kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
4comments inYellow Rice
Delicious!!! Perfect as is!
Yay, so glad you liked it!
My family & I love Yellow Rice🤗! We love ❤ any foods recipe from Mademoiselle Mrs. Pati Jinich. We got her new 📖 📕 book. It’s fantastic to learn how to cook with new recipes 😋! Thank Mrs. Jinich for coming to this world 🌎 to teach us amateurs how to cook 🍳 😀 🙏! Thanks a Quatrillion to Mrs. Jinich. Truthfully Chris 👋
Thanks to you for so much kindness Chris! Send me your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you a signed and dedicated bookplate for your copy 🙂