Chunky Pepita and Coconut Rice
Rate this recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 cups coconut water
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 2 cups Mahatma® Rice basmati white rice
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds lightly toasted
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and coconut flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and the coconut browns, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut water, cream of coconut and salt, and stir well. Once it comes to a strong simmer, add the rice, stir, and cover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 16 to 18 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, but there is still some moisture in the pan. The rice should be cooked and tender; if it is not, but all the liquid has been absorbed, add 2 tablespoons of water, cover again, and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the rice rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and add the pumpkin seeds. Gently mix and serve.