Zucchini Soup with Tortilla Crisps
Rate this recipe
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon corn or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup leeks white and light green parts, sliced
- 1 jalapeno chile sliced in half, seeding optional
- 3 pounds green zucchini ends removed, diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground, or more to taste
For the garnish:
- 1 1/2 cups tortilla crisps or totopos optional
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese or mozarella, diced, optional
- In a soup pot set over medium-low heat, add butter and oil. Once the butter bubbles, stir in the onion, leeks and jalapeño. Cook, stirring sporadically, until the onion has softened, its color has become translucent, and the edges are beginning to brown lightly, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium, incorporate the zucchini and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring here and there. Pour in the broth, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, until the zucchini is thoroughly cooked and the soup has seasoned. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Place it all in the blender in batches and purée until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and let it thoroughly heat over medium heat. Serve very hot. Either spoon some diced cheese and totopos into each soup bowl right before eating, or let your guests add as much as they fancy.
32comments inZucchini Soup with Tortilla Crisps
Variation 1: use cilantro instead of leeks – mi Tia’s recipe
Variation 1B: cilantro instead of leeks AND chayote instead of zucchini. My variation of aunt’s recipe
Both great ideas, thanks for sharing Deanna!
Thank you for sharing this delicious healthy recipe! It is definitely my new favorite way to eat zucchini.
My pleasure Erica, glad you liked it!
I have made this many times ,it is always a hit.
Thanks for sharing Esther, yay!
¡Tan fácil y rico! Gracias, Pati ❣
Que bueno que te gusto Martha, un abrazo!
Que rica se ve esta sopa! Voy a tener que probarla!
Espero que te guste Angelica, saludos!
My dad and I always watch your show together when I visit! I made this soup based on a recent Instagram post of yours and it was amazing! Perfect for fall! My husband even loved it and he swears he “doesn’t like soup.” Thank you 🙂
That’s wonderful that everyone enjoyed the soup, Kellianne!
Oh man pati… the first timbre I made this it came out perfect! So creamy and delicious…i made it again last night and it was not the same😔. Not creamy, tasted a bit and had a similar texture to broccoli🤷♀️. The first time I made this my calabacitas were round. This time they were longer. I also didn’t measure out my broth just added enough to cover three zucchini. thoughts?
Oh I’m sorry to hear this, Jasmine. It sounds like you used Italian Zucchini the first time, which is milder and sweeter: http://patijinich.com/pati_2020/calabacita_italiana_or_italian_zucchini/ And I recommend you use 5 cups of broth to help get the right texture or make sure you puree the soup until it is completely smooth.
This is my favorite soup! My 9 year old daughter begs me to make it every week. Thank you so much!
So happy to hear you and your daughter enjoy the soup, Angel. Say hi to her for me!
I was wondering if there’s any place I can find the portion/calories content of the soup. It is delicious!!!
Hi Beth, I do not have the exact information on hand but there are many apps now where you can enter the ingredients and it calculates the caloric content for you, for example LifeSome or MyFitnessPal 😉
Que delicia! Nunca creí que existiera una sopa tan cremosa sin leche! Me encanta y la he estado haciendo desde que el episodio salió por vez primera. Gracias por compartir tu don!
Uy mil gracias, Monica!
Oh my goodness Pati…this soup…no words… just yum. I just made this and I’m in heaven here on a snowy day in Boston. This just warmed my soul. Thank you!
Oh thank you and stay warm Elizabeth!
Already made this yum and now I’ll make it for my daughter and her husband for their first time.
I hope your daughter and husband enjoy it as much as you did Sandie!
I just discovered you and your show. The zucchini soup sounds great. I am a meat eater, but would love to get more vegi’s back in my diet. This recipe sounds hopeful. I am so sick of brocoli & kale as my only green options.
Oh this is a great veggie option! Nopales are also a great way to change up your veggie routine http://patijinich.com/pati_2020/recipe/cactus-paddle-tostada/
I work a farmer’s market right next to a vender that sells those light green zucchinis. I told him about this recipe and he was very interested. He gave me a huge bag of them, so I’m making the soup now. Hopefully this recipe will make those light green zucchini sell much faster!😁
That’s awesome! I hope you enjoy the soup and that the zucchinis sell out.
I copied this recipe after seeing you make in on your show. My husband and I love this soup.
Then the recipe disappeared, and I was really upset.
Now I have it again, thanks to your website!
This soup is unbelievably delicious❣️
Yay! So glad you found the recipe again and that you love the soup.
Pati – this soup is so delicious! Your recipes never fail me. Thank you for sharing your talents and beautiful spirit with the world.
Thank you so much Mark!