Achiote Adobo Marinade recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 4, Episode 3 “Taco Night”
- 2 guajillo chiles
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons achiote paste
- 1 cup bitter orange juice, (or substitute with 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/3 cup lime juice and 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground true or ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
Stem and seed the guajillo chiles. Toast them on a pre-heated comal or skillet, set over medium heat, for about 1 to 2 minutes per side until they are toasted, but not burnt. Place the chiles in a saucepan, add enough water to cover them, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until the chiles are plumped up and rehydrated.
In a blender, place the chiles along with 1/2 cup of their cooking liquid and the rest of the ingredients. Puree until smooth. Use as a marinade.