Chayote Squash and Pickled Onion Salad
Rate this recipe
- 2 pounds chayote squash
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- Place unpeeled chayotes in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and cover the pan, then reduce heat to low; simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until the chayotes are cooked through. A knife will cleanly go through them, but they won’t be completely soft or mushy.
- Drain, and once cool, peel the chayotes. Cut them in half, then slice into sticks.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, except for the onions, and whisk into a vinaigrette. Add the onions, mix well and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. It can also be made ahead a day before and left in the refrigerator.
- Toss the chayote sticks with the vinaigrette and onions. Serve or cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.