Pickled Red Onions a la Yucateca
Rate this recipe
- 1 cup bitter orange juice or its substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 banana pepper or jalapeño roasted, broiled, or charred
- Place the bitter orange juice in a mixing bowl along with the black pepper, allspice and salt; mix well. Stir in the red onions and bay leaves.
- Char or broil the pepper under the broiler, on the grill, on a hot comal, or in a dry skillet set over medium heat, turning once or twice, until the skin is lightly charred, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Add the pepper, without removing the charred skin, to the onion mixture and toss well to combine. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes to 2 hours, then store, covered, in the refrigerator.