- 8 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6 scallions chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, white/light green and green parts separated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- To taste kosher or coarse sea salt
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup fruity red wine such as cabernet sauvignon or malbec
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- To serve:
- 1 baguette cut into 1/2-inch pieces and grilled
- 12 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves and upper stems
- Fine crystal sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, white and light green parts of the scallions, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and salt and pepper until the tomatoes are well coated. Pour onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and let the tomatoes wilt, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. They should be wilted but remain intact. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the crushed chiles and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the red wine, sugar and vinegar and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the wine reduces by more than half and becomes syrupy. Reduce the heat to medium low, add the tomatoes, capers, and pine nuts. Stir all to combine and let simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and place in a bowl for serving.
- Spread some goat cheese on the grilled baguette slices, top with some of the tomato jam, and garnish with cilantro and the remaining chopped green parts of the scallions. If desired, sprinkle with sea salt for just before serving.