- To make the marinade for the wings:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 chipotle chiles from chipotles chiles in adobo sauce seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 1 tablespoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- To make the chicken wing sauce:
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- To make the dipping sauce:
- 1 cup Mexican crema crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or a mild feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves and upper parts of stems
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- kosher or coarse sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Carrot and celery sticks to eat along with the wings and dip in the dipping sauce
- In a large bowl or baking dish, add all the ingredients for the wing marinade: buttermilk, garlic, chipotle chiles, sauce from chipotles in adobo, orange juice, orange zest, salt and pepper, mix to combine. Add the chicken wings and mix well to make sure all of the wings are coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a cooling rack onto a lined (with aluminum foil or parchment paper) rimmed baking sheet and brush the cooling rack with vegetable oil. Remove the wings from the marinade and place them directly onto the cooling rack. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, flipping once after 25 minutes, until crisp and browned on all sides.
- While the wings are baking, place a small saucepan over medium heat and add all of the ingredients for the chicken wing sauce: agave syrup, garlic, Tabasco sauce, sauce from chipotles in adobo, vinegar, olive oil and salt, bring to a simmer. Whisk to emulsify and combine. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the crema, queso fresco, lime juice, cilantro, chives and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and set aside.
- Once the wings are ready, place them in a large bowl. Whisk the agave wing sauce once more with a fork or whisk, then pour it over the wings and toss well so that all the wings are coated. Serve with the crema dipping sauce on the side.