Governor Shrimp Tacos
Rate this recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 white onion slivered
- 2 poblano chiles stemmed, seeded, slivered
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 ripe Roma tomatoes cored, seeded, slivered
- 3 tablespoons sauce from chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 11-15) shelled large shrimp cut into large chunks
- 3 cups shredded Oaxaca, mozzarella, asadero or Muenster cheese
- 6 to 8 flour or corn tortillas
- Sliced avocado for garnish
- 1 Chile Manzano sliced and mixed with the juice of a lime, 1/4 red onion and salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Once it melts and begins to bubble, add the onion and poblano and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, stir, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Incorporate the tomatoes, cook for a minute, and as they begin to soften, add the sauce from the chipotles in adobo, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well, cook for another minute, then add the shrimp and cook just until they change color, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off heat and scrape into a bowl to prevent the shrimp from overcooking.
- On a preheated comal set over low heat, heat the tortillas on both sides for a minute. Add about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese onto each one. Once the cheese begins to melt, add a generous amount of the shrimp mixture, fold in half and continue heating until cheese has completely melted and the tortillas have begun to lightly brown and create a crust.
- Serve with sliced avocado and Manzano chiles and onion.