Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Red Sauce for Chiles Rellenos recipe from Pati's Mexican Table, Episode 11 "Family Favorites"
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1-inch thick slice of a large white onion, outer skin peeled off (about 2 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
Place the tomatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the tomatoes are completely smooth, cooked and mushy.
Place tomatoes and garlic in a blender along with the onion and salt, and process until completely smooth.
Heat the oil in medium saucepan, set over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, pour in the tomato sauce, cover with a lid partially and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring here and there. Add the chicken broth, stir and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, until well seasoned and lightly thickened.