- 12 Flour tortillas
- safflower or corn oil, optional
- 8 ounces Chihuahua, Oaxaca, Monterey Jack, Muenster, or melty cheese of your choice
- 6 to 12 thin slices ham or turkey
- Mexican avocado slices, optional
- salsa of your choice
- Heat a non-stick sauté pan or a comal over medium heat. Place a couple flour tortillas, many as will fit in the pan or comal, top with a generous amount of shredded cheese and one or two slices of ham or turkey. Cover with a second flour tortilla.
- Heat until the flour tortillas in the bottom become lightly toasted and cheese starts melting. With the help of a spatula, flip them to the other side and let it heat and crisp a bit. I like to wait until the cheese oozes out, browns and crisps a little! Transfer to a plate and slice in half or quarters.
- Serve with a salsa of your choice and slices of ripe avocado on the side.