Spiced Up Pumpkin Seeds
Rate this recipe
- 1 1/2 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn, safflower or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground chile piquín or ground Mexican chile, more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar more or less to taste
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Once it is hot but not smoking add the pumpkin seeds. Saute, stirring often, for about 4 to 5 minutes, they will have begun making popping sounds and some of them will begin gaining a nice tanned brown color.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the remains of the oil behind in the pan. Sprinkle with the ground chile, salt and sugar and toss to coat. As they cool down, they will dry up and become crunchier. Eat or store covered with a lid. They will keep for about a week, if you don't finish them before then.
20comments inSpiced Up Pumpkin Seeds
Thank you so easy enjoy all your recipes
Thanks so much Irma, yay!
I have eating pumpkin seeds for a very long time, since I was in the 6th grade in elementary school. I introduced to them by a schoolmate who ate them all the time. I live them, they are a great snack, I plan on trying this recipe, thanks Patio for your encouragement to try new foods.
So glad you like pumpkin seeds Maria, I love them as well!
These are excellent, Pati! Pepitas are so easy to make and they spice up any grab-and-go meal. Perfect to add to any soup heated in a microwave at work or to a salad out of the fridge. They mix with most salad dressings and can be used in rice dishes. Try a tablespoon of coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I like to season them with the “Everything but the Elote” seasoning blend and a couple of single-serve packets of Sugar in the Raw. A peanut butter jar size of pepitas lasts about a week for 2 people.
Thanks for sharing these great suggestions Maria, saludos!
This recipe sounds great, thanks. Keep those great recipes coming! Take care & safe travels🤗
Thanks so much Norma!
Pat C - Montrose, CO
Can’t wait to try this out!
Hope you liked them Pat 😉
Nicholas De LosAngeles
Hahaha, so glad you liked the pepitas Nicholas! 🙂
OMG these are absolute delicious i loved them so much i am sending some to my daughter in mn who loves pepitas and she also loves pati we both watch your show together on the week end and go back and forth on the phone about what you are cooking for the day you are the best Mexican cook on tv now to start with your cook books
thanks Pati for you love of your culture and the way you draw others into this circle of some of the worlds most amazing food and traditions xo xo xo
Thanks to your for so much kindness Frances. Un abrazo to you and to your daughter 😉
Absolutely delicious ! ❤️
Yay! Glad you like them 😉
YUMMMM! I Love these Pepitas! Great Recipe Pati! 🥰🤗🙏
Gracias John, so glad you enjoyed them!
Hi Pati! Thanks for this pepitas recipe and the granola also. I have several chile piquin bushes in my yard and grind my own powder….muy caliente 🙂
I hope you make you way back to Austin again. I missed you when you came to Central Market several years ago.
Love you and your show.
ps Your boys have sure grown up into nice young men.
Thanks so much for your kindness GG, hope to make it back to Austin soon 🙂