Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Texas Caviar recipe from Pati’s Mexican Table Season 8, Episode 3 “South by South of the Border with Vivian Howard”
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 cups dried field peas or black eyed peas, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup small-diced cocktail tomatoes, plus 1/4 cup of their liquid*
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
In a medium bowl, gently stir together the ingredients. Serve right away, or let the caviar marinate refrigerated overnight or up to 3 days before serving. Serve at room temperature with chips, endive, celery, or as a side.
*Note: If you don’t have cocktail tomatoes and would still like to make this caviar, marinate 1 cup of quartered cherry tomatoes in 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 30 minutes.