Bell Peppers, Cucumber and Chickpea Salad
Rate this recipe
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno chile stemmed, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained (or about 2 cups home-cooked chickpeas)
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, cut into “matchstick” slices (2-inches by 1/4 to 1/2-inch)
- 1 yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded, cut into “matchstick” slices (2-inches by 1/4 to 1/2-inch)
- 1 orange bell pepper stemmed, seeded, cut into “matchstick” slices (2-inches by 1/4 to 1/2-inch)
- 1 green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, cut into “matchstick” slices (2-inches by 1/4 to 1/2-inch)
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, halved and sliced into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, beat the lime juice, red wine vinegar and oils with a fork or whisk until emulsified. Toss in the oregano, mint, red onion, jalapeño, and salt and pepper and whisk again until fully incorporated. Add the chickpeas, and let it all marinate while you prepare the rest of the vegetables. You can also cover and refrigerate the marinating chickpeas for up to one day.
- When ready to serve, add the bell peppers and cucumbers, mix well, and set on the table.
28comments inBell Peppers, Cucumber and Chickpea Salad
This is an awesome salad! I make one similar the only difference is I add avocado to it. It is a meal in itself.
Yummy addition Karen, avocado is always the answer 😉
Hello. I’m going to make this recipe. It says 1/4 cup olive oil AND 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Does this mean 1/2 cup of oil?? Thanks
That’s correct Debra; if at the end you think it is too much dressing, just add it to your taste. Enjoy!
Wonderful , fresh and full of flavour. Loved it.
Yummy, I marimatedbthe beans overnight.
I can’t wait to try this dish, I love your show thank you for sharing your easy recipes on Mexican dishes on Patis Mexican Table ???
Oh thank you Ralph!
Bell Pepper, Cucumber and Chickpea Salad | Akkermans' Eat-In
[…] This recipe comes from the host, Pati Jinich. The link is here. If you can’t get the link, we list the ingredients and instructions […]
Patti-Enjoy your show tremendously!
I made the very flavorful chick pea/ pepper/cucumber salad to serve for lunch this holiday weekend. It was a nice lighter accompaniment with a platter of leftover turkey. It was well received !
Thank You, Doreen- from New Hampshire
I’m so thrilled it was a hit! Thank you so much for trying it, Doreen!
I saw your show featuring the Ensalada de Pepino, Pimiento y Garbanzo and gave it a try and thoroughly enjoyed it! Next time I may try letting the garbanzos marinate a bit longer as you suggest. As it was they were delicious but I can’t help thinking they would only improve with some time to soak in all the goodness as it brightened everything perfectly. Thank you and keep up the great work!! You are opening so many eyes to real Mexican cuisine! Looking forward to seeing and trying more!
Dave, thank you for trying the recipe! Let me know how the next batch turns out =)
Mike and Sue Janson
I prepared your recipe for bell pepper, cucumber and chickpea salad. It was wonderful.
Thanks again for another great recipe.
Mike and Sue Janson
Mike and I just finished dinner. I prepared chicken and your bell peppers, cucumber, and chickpea salad. WOW!! Thanks again for another wonderful recipe. We had fresh mint from our garden and fresh cucumber from our neighbor’s garden. It tasted so fresh. We are looking forward to having the salad with mesquite grilled camarones like we had in Nogales.
We really enjoy watching your show on Create TV (11.3 in Chicago).
Loved the dishes!! thank you Pati
Pati hoy hice la ensalada y quedo deliciosa a pesar de que no le puse el aceite vegetal, ya que estoy muy confundida y no supe cual usar, además me equivoque con el vinagre y en vez de una cucharada le puse un cuarto de taza así que tuve que volver a hacerla. Me alegro porque me quedo deliciosa a mis hijas les encanto. La acompañe con un arroz integral mixto y pollo a la parrilla. Fue un éxito para haber sido la primera vez que pruebo una de tus recetas. Gracias
Que gusto que les gustó, Cecilia! A mi también me encanta el arroz integral…
I love your program and all the recepies that you do.
Thank you, Carlos!
Hoy hice el pollo y la ensalada. En la ensalada substituí los garbanzos por frijoles pintos ya que mi hija es alérgica y quedo muy rica ya que el aderezo es lo que la hace delisiosa.
El pollo también riquísimo.
En casa nos encanta tu show. Felicidades!
Uy no sabes que felíz me hace saber que están probando las recetas, MariCarmen, y les estén gustando, espero que pruebes muchas más!
Delicious salad. We served as accompaniment to the citrus chicken (as on the show), but really it could be a standalone summer salad, served on lettuce/greens. If the chickpeas aren’t enough protein for you, add a few slices of chicken or pork tenderloin. Everyone loved it and it was all gone!
That is a great idea, to add on chicken or meat!