Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice Mexicano
Rate this recipe
- 1½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 pound peeled medium sized shrimp cleaned and patted dry
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or grated piloncillo
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce more to taste
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and pressed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile stemmed and finely chopped
- 9 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup diced carrots from about 2 medium sized carrots
- 1½ cups diced fresh asparagus bottoms of stalks peeled and dry base cut off
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 8 to 10 scallions root ends removed, white, light green and green parts sliced, reserving a tablespoon or so for garnish
- 4½ cups cooked Mahatma® Rice white rice cooked from 1½ cups raw rice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste. In another bowl, place the cleaned shrimp and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, chipotle in adobo sauce, garlic, ginger and chile, and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, heat one tablespoon of the oil. Once hot, add the beaten eggs, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, moving the edges towards the center as it cooks, to create a flat omelet. Once set and cooked in the bottom, flip so it cooks on the other side. Transfer to a chopping board and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In an extended large sauté pan or wok, set over high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Once very hot but not smoking, add the chicken, cooking it in batches if need be to avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, scrape onto a large bowl. Add 2 more tablespoons of the oil. Repeat with the shrimp, cooking them in batches if need be, for 1 to 2 minutes per side, just until browned and crisp on the outside but not over cooked. Scrape onto the bowl with the chicken.
- In the same pan, add 2 more tablespoons the oil, reduce the heat to medium high and add the carrots and asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened but still with a firm bite. Add the peas and the scallions, stir, and cook for another couple minutes. Scrape onto a separate bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan and raise heat to high. Once hot, add the rice, cook it in the oil for a minute or two as you stir. Whisk the soy sauce mixture and pour it over the rice. Add the vegetables, the chicken, the shrimp and the omelet pieces, and toss to combine. Let it all cook together for a minute or two and serve. Garnish with the reserved scallion slices.