- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) very cold butter, diced
- 3/4 cup very cold water
- Place the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Add the chunks of butter and pulse a few times, until the butter is incorporated in bits about the size of peas.
- Slowly pour in the cold water while pulsing a few times until a very crumbly dough is formed. Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured counter and gently push it together with your hands – do not knead.
Rolling and folding the dough:
- With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough into a somewhat triangular shape. Use your hands to fold the two bottom tips of the triangle inward and the top down, like an envelope.
- Turn the dough a quarter-turn clockwise and roll out again into a rectangle shape this time. Fold the two ends lengthwise into the middle to meet. Then fold the dough in half across.
- Turn the dough another quarter-turn clockwise and repeat the two steps above one more time, turning the dough a quarter-turn clockwise each time.
- Tightly wrap the puff pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before using.